I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thankful - Day 6 - My Job

Yesterday I received some disappointing news. I did not get the position I applied for in another department of my company.  I wanted this position so badly and I was almost certain I was going to get it. 

At first, I felt stuck. I have never had a problem getting the positions that I want.  I am a top performing employee with lots of tenure and experience.  When it was time for me to move on and get my feet wet with something new, I could move pretty easily.  Most of the time, I didn't even have to look for a new job, people sought me out.  So this kind of rejection is foreign to me.  Ever since I came into this department, I have kinda felt a bit stuck.  It is a great paying job with excellent benefits, but it is not what I want to be doing or where my skills and talents are really being utilized.  I sometimes feel wasted.

But quickly, I realized that if I had to be stuck, I'd rather rather be stuck IN a job and with a shift that works for me and my family.

It may not be the most prestigious position, but it is a job I can do and am successful in.  And I am a top performer in this position as well.

It struck me almost immediately.  I have to learn how to be proud of what I do and be grateful for doing it. 

Suddenly, I wasn't upset any more.

I promptly changed my attitude about the situation and my moment of disappointment turned into a rather good day.  I felt a difference on my calls and I am very happy that I have a job.  I don't know of any other job I could be doing right now where I could make what I am making and have the hours that I have.  I don't have it bad at all.  I have it actually pretty good.  And I am very thankful for it!

And guess what?  I know that new and exciting things are waiting for me.  I know that I won't be doing this job forever.  I am not stuck.  There are just some lessons I have to learn before I move on.  I need to become more humble and patient and when the time is right, I will have a position waiting for me. 

So in the meantime, I am going to excited about my job and take advantage of the time I have to learn a new piece of the company and hopefully, gain some new relationships and skills that will help me in the future.





PS- I found out later that the position went to a tenured, displaced employee.  I am so grateful that someone got to keep their job. Someone's prayer was answered.  That is so much more important than just wanting to "move on".

2 comments:

Donna said...

See what I mean!!!!! You are soooo Amazing!!

GG said...

Amazing, not so much. But trying to be. :-D