I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thankful - Day 19 - My kids' love for Christmas

First let me start off by addressing any Bah Humbugers by saying  that Christmas to me is more than a day or even a month.  It is a SEASON.  I really do wish the season could last all year long however, because it is not politically correct to worship and show praise to our Lord and Savior it is extremely frowned upon.  So I soak in what I can during this SEASON.

Now I too believe that Christmas has gotten a little out of hand and has become even more commercial than even poor Charlie Brown could have imagined, but I again think it's because of the political correctness that everyone tip toes around. 

Of course our children only want Santa and presents for Christmas.  That is all they are allowed to talk about in school.  One mention of any religious background (except of course if you aren't Christian, then by all means, please speak your mind.  Let the world know how we have offended you in our beliefs of love and generosity.) and you are so quickly shut up that it cannot even be heard by these young ears.

If you want any shot of NOT having a commercial Christmas, it has to be taught in the home. 

And I am not talking about not buying presents or decorations.  For me all of that is part of the way I bring that joy into my home.  It is all reminders of the greatest gift of all, our loving Father's gift of His Son who's blood would be shed so that we may return to Him.

I love these reminders and if we teach our children what they mean and the purpose behind them, then the commercialism doesn't seem to be so exhausting. 

I can literally hear my heart sing songs of praise the first time I walk into a store and I see a glowing Christmas tree.  I don't have a single thought about what month it is or how many holidays aren't getting their glory because I am overwhelmed by the glory of our Lord.

So I do what I can to keep quiet (afraid of offending whoever decides they want to be offended) and I let you disgrace the holiday by posting pictures of a turkey fending off Santa because to me all I hear or see when people do that is that they have forgotten the Christ in Christmas.  They have crossed out his name with an X because it is faster to write.  And my heart breaks for them and their families. 

So when my kids asked if they could use their allowance to buy themselves each a Christmas tree that they could have in their own bedrooms, my heart leaped a little. 

To them it might not mean what it means to me, at least not yet, but some day I hope it will be.  I will continue to teach them what that Christmas tree means, what the colors represent, and even the meaning of the gifts that may be placed underneath. 

My hope is they will continue to grow in their relationship with Christ and one day they will walk into a store at the end of October to see a glowing Christmas tree and they too will have songs of praise pouring from their hearts.  Not because of the presents that are coming their way, but because of the present we were already given. 

So today, as we set up their own little Christmas trees, I am thankful for their love for our Savior and the little reminders we have this season to be so thankful and full of love for his blessings he continually bestows upon us, no matter how unworthy we may be.

2 comments:

Emily said...

What a fun idea, for each child to have & be able to decorate their own tree! I think it's a great way to extend the "season" of Chistmas. AND

Emily said...

Be able to teach about the true meaning of Christmas & candy canes & presents etc :)