She had to complete a one page application and submit a faculty recommendation. Easy enough.
She created a stationary page on Word and asked each of her past teachers to give her a recommendation, she even asked the librarian. All of whom, were more than happy to oblige. She got some of the nicest recommendations that I have ever read! They actually put some real time in praising her.
We sat down together, completed the application, included the recommendations and put everything into a nice portfolio to turn in.
A few weeks later, she received a notice that she was accepted to go onto the next round and that she would have a video interview (so the other faculty could judge) and pictures taken.
No biggie, she thought. Until I asked if she was nervous about being taped. She misunderstood and thought that she was going to be shown a video and then interviewed about what she saw. I had to break her heart when I told her she wasn't going to play Scene It!
Take a deep breath. You got this!
I coached her through what we thought would be some of the interview questions and I drilled her throughout the weekend. I don't know if she was any less nervous, but she was at least prepared.
When I picked her up from school and asked her how the interview went, she started laughing. She couldn't really remember. She was so nervous that she just started talking. She couldn't get her mouth to shut up and started talking about how dumb she thinks the recess rules are. (To her defense, I have never seen such stupid recess rules. She had a point. Explain to me why we need to regulate playing outside to the degree of telling kids they can only use the monkey bars going east. Insane.) But the interview was done and she thought it went as well as it could.
A few weeks after that, she got a letter stating she moved to the next round and it was time to campaign. (I actually think that each kid who turned in an application got moved to each round, but who knows.)
It's poster time! Katie tossed a few ideas around. She wanted to be different. To stand out. I encouraged her to highlight what she does best and to show how creative and fun she is. And she did just that.
She turned her posters into comics! She loves to draw and is constantly drawing funny little comic strips for us. She came up with a few ideas and went to town. She was only allowed 2 posters so she made each one different.
I thought they were so funny, but they were kinda making fun of school a little (In one, she is literally sleeping in class, daydreaming of being a super star! lol), but they worked. They got people's attentions. People had to approach the posters to read them, instead of just walking by and forgetting instantly! People would laugh about them together and talk about them at recess! She is one smart cookie.
Because she could only have 2 posters, we brainstormed other ways to get her name out there. I thought about printing up some stickers and shirts, but it was just too costly for an elementary school election. So instead, we picked up some window markers and put it on our vehicle! If there are multiple names on a ballot and you don't know any of them, you will most likely pick the one that seems familiar! It is worth a shot!
Then on Wednesday she came home with another note that her teacher had forgotten to give her prior to the weekend. She had to deliver a speech the very next morning in an assembly! AAAAAAAAGGGGH.
Again, breath. It's going to be ok. I am here to help.
We bullet pointed some things to highlight and we spent a good part of the night going over being excited and showing enthusiasm. She was not too keen on the enthusiastic approach. She is a little shy, but I told her if she wanted to be remembered, she had to make herself memorable.
She finally agreed and we practiced all night.
When I picked her up Thursday, she was very excited! The speech went great. Her and one other person were the only ones who seemed excited about even being there. She got the audience excited and cheering and clapping while her competition was barely understandable at the microphone because they were speaking so softly. She felt confident!
Vote for Katelynn Ewell! Ewell be glad you did!!!
Today, I could barely wait for her to get home! She jumped out of the car with a great big, I won!!! Her dad was disappointed, apparently, they were going to try to fake me out, but she just couldn't contain herself! We did the hug jump of excitement together in the driveway!
I am so proud of her! She really had no idea what she was getting herself into when she decided to wanted to be in student council, but she handled herself with such poise! She is so smart and so creative! She really shined with this project even though she was stressed the entire time!
Great job, baby girl! You are growing up so beautifully!
.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment