I have tossed the idea around for a couple of years. Do I let this Elf into my house to terrorize me and my children in the hopes that it'll keep them good? The answer is a clear "no" every time I even try to consider it.

And here is why:
1) My kids are older, only Ciara still does not know that her Santa presents come from her parents, although this will be the last year for that as kids around her keep telling her that the Big Man is not real. Makes me sad. I try and let the kids in on the magic at 8, but it looks like it's going to be 6 for my CiCi girl.
Side Note: I like to present Santa as the Spirit of Christmas. I explain how he was a man who lived hundreds of years ago who gave toys to young kids and his spirit comes alive at Christmastime. He is a feeling of joy and magic that lives in your heart. If you carry that magic of Christmas with you, then he is very much real, even when you outgrow the fairytale part of Santa Claus, that magic is something that can stay with you forever.
2) I cannot for the life of me figure out how an Elf who is supposed to be reporting to the Man in the Big Red Suit, if the children are well behaved gets away with doing so many naughty things! He should be fired! Mixed messages, Santa. We have enough double standards in the world, let's not bring you into this as well.
3) Speaking of naughty things, I have a hard time picking up after my own kids messes, why would I want to pick up after Mr Jingles too? Um, no thanks. You made this mess, you clean it up!
4) I love my sleep. I have a hard enough time staying up at night to a reasonable hour before sending my kids to bed so that I can go to bed myself. Once that time has come, I really don't want to have to stay up even later to "set up" Elfie (I am just going to call him random names throughout the post. Hope you don't mind.) just so that I can clean up after him later. Yay! That sounds like so much fun for me. Yeah, not so much.
5) I naturally have a dirty little mind (I know, big surprise!) Some of the things I would want to set up Buster doing would not be kid appropriate. I think hiding him under Barbie's bed would be HILARIOUS! I would have a hard time resisting those sorts of temptations. And that just opens a whole big can of worms that I really don't want to open. I must resist those sorts of temptations.
6) I do a lot as it is. I sometimes think that maybe I over do the whole Christmas thing. I enjoy the season so much, I want to cram as much Christmassy things in as possible and it can ruin the fun.
7) It costs money. You can spend upwards of thirty bucks for that stupid doll! I know it would only be a one time investment and I have spent money on stupider (yes, I just said stupider and guess what? Spell check didn't correct it! Has it actually become a legitimate word?) things, but this time of year, every penny counts and I just don't think Peppermint Pants is worth it.
8) And last but not least, Fruitcake is just a tad too creepy for me. He has got this horror movie twinkle in his eye that just doesn't sit well with me. And the thought of him looking after my children gives me the heebee jeebies.
So there you have it, 8 solid reasons why I will not allow Buddy the Elf on my shelf.
2 comments:
You are HILARIOUS!!!!!
Hahaha.. Reason 8 is my favorite. I see that same creepy look!
Post a Comment