I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Calendar Catch Up

Day 12 - Sick day

My house has been full of sickies. Thursday was kind of the peak of it. So far I am the only one who has bypassed it, I swear by the power of zinc! Zinc and prayers, that's what's saved me.

But even though I was not sick, the rest of the house was full of fevers and overall general ickiness. So we took a day off from our daily activities.

Day 13 - Cinnamon Tree
I found an amazing cinnamon bread on Pintrest (that's where I get most of my ideas these days) and was SO excited to try it.

I pulled out my trusty KitchenAid and got to work.

It was at about the 4th extra cup of flour added when I realized that there must be something wrong as it still was not turning into dough.

I decided to put dough in the oven to rise while I took the kids to Misty's. ( was babysitting for me while I volunteered to usher for The Forgotten Carols.) When I got back and opened the oven to find an erupted volcanic mess of gooey nasty stickiness, that still resembled anything but dough. I thought about taking a picture of the horrific scene but declined because I didn't want to show you all the nastiness that is my oven.

So the sweet bread wasn't going to happen.

My guardian angel was looming after me because time literally stopped as I cleaned the mess. I still don't know how I got everything done.

I promised the kids I'd have the bread finished when I came to pick them up. What to do, what to do?

I pulled out a couple of cans of refrigerated cinnamon rolls, pressed them together and squished them, manipulating them to form the shape of a basic tree, sprinkled some extra goodness on top and threw them in my newly cleaned oven while I quickly got myself ready for my work at the play.

After I threw on some cream cheese frosting and sprinkles, I was very pleased with how it turned out.

When the kids came home, they were impressed too. Mostly , I think, because they saw the sticky mess that I was trying to work with before I dropped them off.

Day 14 - The Forgotten Carols

Because I shared their stuff on FB, put up fliers and ushered for two nights, I was able to score 4 tickets to the play. This humble play touches my heart each time I've seen it. This was my 4th time but I haven't ever taken the kids. (I think Katie came once as a babe in arms, but that hardly counts.) So I was THRILLED to share this with them. The girls live going to the theatre but Justin hasn't grown an appreciation yet for "the arts" so he wasn't as excited as I was. Intact, he looked at it as a time for a nap. Or at least, that is what he said as we were seating. When we were leaving though, he sang a different tube. He enjoyed it and even said it was pretty funny. Ciara made a comment about too much clapping and Katie can't wait to learn the music on the piano. Overall, I'd call that success.

Day 16 - Christmas Angels

Today was another craft. And as you all know, easy peasy is my favorite kind.

Using some cheap paper plates, ( know - the kind that actually required a whole handful of plates to act as one regular paper plate) some tape, and dollar store ribbon.

The craft itself only took a fee minutes and clean up was a cinch. I think they turned out pretty cute too!

No comments: