I am getting a bit frustrated with Katelynn's teacher. She is the same teacher Katie had last year, but this year there are a few things going on that I do not agree with.
Katie came home from school yesterday crying. When I asked her what was the matter, she said that they (the whole class) didn't get to have recess yesterday.
What?! Why not?
She informed me that a few months ago, the teacher took away their first recess for the rest of the school year because the class couldn't be quiet. And that they lost their last recess yesterday because again, the class couldn't settle down. So she only got lunch recess, which means the kids have to either not eat, or choke down their food as fast as possible to have time to play outside.
I asked her if she was being rowdy in class. The teacher has also praised Katelynn and she never has to switch her color card (that is how they do it in her class...for every warning you switch colors until you've had so many warnings, you have to see the principal). So I couldn't imagine Katie being disruptive in class.
Katie, of course, said no. That it is really only a few boys in her class. She named them, but I can't remember. There were about 3 or 4 names.
So now I don't quite know what to do. First off, I've always thought that "taking away" recess was the dumbest thing I've heard of. Most of the time it's for exactly what Katie was describing which means those kids now have no outlet to get that energy out! And second, why is Katie - and the rest of the class for that matter - being punished for the few??
Another thing that is bothering me is along the same lines. The whole school has Fabulous Friday's - Katie's class used to call them Fiesta Friday for the Spanish theme. On Friday, the kids who have been good all week get to do something special. Sometimes it's extra P.E. time, games, treats...whatever have you. But the teacher took away Fiesta Friday for the whole class for the whole year because, yet again, the class is too rowdy!
And now her teacher is threatening to take away their Valentines Day party!
I'm sick of it! I was trying to wait until Parent Teacher conference so I could sit down and discuss it, but I think I'm going to try and pull the teacher aside tonight after Katie's performance to find out what is going on. I do not like that my daughter is being punished for other's bad behaviors instead of rewarded for her good behavior! This is a gifted class. If there are a few students who are out of control...remove them from the class. Maybe it's just too much for them! Why hold the whole class back??
Anyways..so there is my vent for the day!
Love ya!!
3 comments:
I agree. I would be all over this teacher, very nicely I might add, but all over her none the less. Even when my son WAS one of the rowdy ones, you can't take away his recess. Like you said it's their only outlet. Take away a recess and it will make it worse.
If you don't get anywhere with her, go to the principal. I don't think they can take away recess for the rest of the year. It's one thing once in a while, but not indefinately!
I'm pretty upset about it...
I'm trying of course to stay calm until I talk to the teacher...you just never know what's really going on, but I highly doubt that Katie is having any problems.
I'm going to approach it with the "I have concerns. Katie has told me that her recesses are being taken away...is there a problem?" and take it from there.
Sounds good! Keep praying to calm down, I'll pray for you, too!
Love ya!!
Post a Comment