I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Peter Jackson and the Lightning Thief

I am under the belief that this movie was adapted by Mr D himself as a ploy to make Percy and his "quest" look ridiculous!  And THAT is why Mr D purposely left himself out of the movie as well as every other key element and plot.

The biggest crime against this movie is the lack of mention Kronos, except for the brief classroom discussion in the museum about how the Gods defeated him.  That would be like Harry Potter with no Voldemort!  And that is only ONE of the many many faults in the movie.

The other huge mistake was removing the Oracle from the story.  Again, that would be like Harry Potter without the Prophecy. 

Luckily, I was forewarned that the movie was lacking in main characters, but I still was hoping the book would not be slaughtered.  But then again, the only likeness the movie had with the book was names of characters (that they decided NOT to throw out the window) and names of places.

I believed that they merged several characters together.  Clarise with Annabeth.  Ares with Hades.  And then they completely changed other characters.  What happened to my clumsy, emotional Grover?  He turned into some cool slick goatman!  I must admit though...I did enjoy Grover in the movie..but he wasn't MY Grover.  It was like some new character that I enjoyed.

And I still don't know what to think about Camp Half-Blood (Did they even mention the camp name?) and the cabins.  And I'm still scratching my head about Luke.  The fight scene at the end was a bit ridiculous to me.

I could go on, but why?  I don't see how they can continue with the sequels with so much of the story missing.  But hey, they continue to find a way with HP.  I do think though that a movie finally crossed a line with me and I don't have any want to see any future Percy Jackson movies.

7 comments:

Donna said...

Sorry it was so bad for you. I'm with you, in that they really messed up leaving out key people, I mean really key people.

It's interesting to me, because I knew when I saw the movie that it was lacking, very lacking. At one point (The end of the underworld scene) I literally raised my arms in the air and practically stood up. Doug had to put his hand on my arm to calm me down. But as I got home and was talking it out with Steven, I came to realize even more of what they changed and left out.

Ben said he doesn't even want to see the movie if it's that wrong.

Doug enjoyed the movie, he thought it was good, but he hasn't read the book.

I am glad I read the book. The movie is what motivated me to read it, so I am glad for the movie for that. I, too am disappointed they changed so much. So what's new these days???

Donna said...

PS Sorry I didn't call you back this weekend. It's been pretty hectic!

I love you!!

PPS I saw the Dutch Oven Madness blog on your blogroll, I love it. I've always wanted to learn to dutch oven cook, obviously not as bad as this woman, but it just might inspire me to learn this summer!! Thanks, I'm excited!!!

GG said...

I'm excited about the Dutch Oven blog too! It's what I call Camp Cooking! I found it blog hopping. I like how she puts pictures and reviews and what she learned. I just think it's neat.

And about the movie...I ALMOST re-read them before I saw the movie because it's been quite a few months but I am SO SO SO glad that I didn't. It was bad enough without it being fresh in my mind. From the very begining scene where Poseidon walks out of the water and talks with Zeus, I was mad.

Donna said...

I'm so sorry, but you sure know how to make smile!!! I'm glad I could warn you a little!

GG said...

I'm glad my complaining makes you smile! LOL I'll do it more often!

I love you!!!

Donna said...

I just read this post again, and caught the title of the post for the first time. I was laughing right out loud. The first paragraph is even funnier with the title, I don't know how I missed it the first time!

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!

I love you!!!!!!

GG said...

LOL Glad you liked it! LOL Love ya!