I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

SEP Conferences

It's that time of year again....

Last night was Parent / Teacher Conference.  And like every other time, I am blown away with how smart my kids are!

I don't mean to be a bragger...okay, so maybe I do a little, but WOW!

Katelynn's conference was first.  Her teacher told me how wonderful she is and how focused Katelynn is.  She is doing exceptional in Spanish.  Infact, at that point, her teacher turned to Katelynn and started speaking Spanish...actual Spanish..not slow, not easy, but actual conversation.  Next thing I know, Katie is responding back IN SPANISH!  I was shocked.  Then her teacher started asking her questions in Spanish, what time is it, math problems, those sorts of things and Katie understood and followed her directions!  It was crazy!  It went on like that for about 5 minutes!  I wish I would have pulled out my phone to record it because it was just amazing!

Justin's conference was next.  I was really nervous about this one...this is our first real conference since school started.

I had no reason to be nervous.  He is ahead of benchmark and is doing fantastic!  He is not only smart and willing to participate, but he is helpful!  He is starting to read and is able to blend the letters together to make words!  He was amazing too!  His teacher said he is a model student!  That's my boy!

I am so proud of both of them!

4 comments:

Donna said...

I think this is so awesome! Conrats to both of them!!

I still am fighting pangs of jealousy of this program for my kids. I would love for them to have the same opportunity Katie has, she is so lucky, a better word, blessed!

Bella said...

It's funny because I still have mixed feelings about it. MOST of the time, I know it is a great program and we are blessed that Katie was invited to be a part of it, but sometimes, not often, but sometimes, I doubt myself. But after watching her interact with her teacher...all doubts are gone! It was amazing!

Now, I just hope that Justin gets the same opportunity!

Donna said...

What are his chances?? It would be wonderful for them to be able to interact with each other and keep things going at home. Can you imagine...you walk into the room and they are conversing matter of factly in spanish! They could talk about you right in front of your face and you wouldn't know it!! LOL

Bella said...

I know it sounds funny, but that is exactly what I am hoping for! It would be so wonderful for both of them!

RJ and I used to do that...not talk about our mother, but talk in spanish. One year in JR High, we were both in the same Spanish class. It was wonderful! I was nervous at first because we weren't exactly "friends", but I think it was a changing point for us. We really enjoyed it! Plus we could do switch off homework days. Wait...did I say that out loud? LOL

As for Justin, I'm not sure what his chances are. First, they have to say that they are going to continue to start the program again for 1st grade. They did last year, so I am hopeful. Second, they have to test him for gifted and talented. This is were I am a bit nervous. My biggest fear is that his speech impediments are going to hold him back. We'll just have to see.