I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Katie's Hair

Since the start of first grade, Katie has been wanting to be more independent. Well, she's wanted it for a long time, but I just starting giving in at the start of first grade...let's put it that way. LOL

She showers and baths herself. She does her chores and keeps her room clean and bed made with little direction. She picks out her own clothes for school (I still struggle with that one, but she's actually doing a fantastic job!) and she wants to do her own hair.

That means that she either leaves it down all day or she pulls it into a pony tail herself (where it becomes a mess within a few minutes.)

It makes me so sad because I am so used to doing her hair everyday! I love it! I am not there in the mornings to help get her ready so I would do her hair in the evening after her shower. I think this was one of the reasons she wanted me to stop. It was cutting into her playing time. She always looked so neat and pretty! I love it when her hair is pulled off of her beautiful face so that I can see her eyes and her smile!!

I try not to whine too much but she knows how much I miss it. Last night I was combing Ciara's hair after her bath and Katie made a comment about how now I can do CC's hair and that I should be happy. I smiled at her and said that Ciara's hair isn't quite to that point yet but it will be soon and that I am excited to be able to do a little girls hair again.

Next thing I knew she had brought me a brush, comb, and hair ties to do her hair. She was so thrilled by the smile on my face as she asks me to do her hair for school tomorrow. She is such a sweet girl. She just wanted piggy braids. So I just pulled up half of her hair into the braids and flipped them. Really simple. It only took a few minutes and we both were happy. She then gave me a big hug and asked if I would do her hair everyday again because it gets in her face when she is playing at recess.

Now I am conflicted. I so badly want to take her up on that! But I am afraid she is just saying that to appease me. She is such a people pleaser. I want her to be happy too! It is odd to me that she worries so much about other people and their feelings. I want her to do things that make herself happy as well.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Isn't that wonderful!! Maybe you guys could compromise and just do half and half. It really is good for her to "people please" to an extent!! Especially, Mommy please!! Let her do it for you.

GG said...

I think that's what we are going to do. I am going to do it half of the time and she will do it the rest. She seems to be happy with that.