I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Price of Peace of Mind

When the kids are sick I always go through this internal struggle...should I take them to the doctor?  At what point is sick more than just sick?

My thought on this is, is it worth the $20 co-pay for peace of mind?  My answer is always yes.  Now, I don't take them in right away.  I wait at least a day or so and watch them. 

My biggest worry is fevers.  I don't like them!  I can usually control them though with some ibuprofen and acetaminophen.  When they last more than a couple days...I really start to worry.

So when we were going into day 2 of CiCi's sickness and she still wasn't eating, barely drinking and her fever was still 101 even with medicine, I told Shawn to take her in.  Poor thing was just miserable.

She has pneumonia.

The doctor gave her a shot of antibiotics in her leg.  She was crying about her leg for the rest of the night.  She couldn't walk on it or even stand.  Even holding her was hard on her.  I felt so horrible. 

But luckily, after the initial dose of Tylenol before bed, her fever stayed down and we didn't have to give her any more medicine in the middle of the night.  I'm hoping that is a good sign.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

yuck...it is no fun to have sick babies!!! I hope she starts feeling better soon!!! I know how you feel though...because it seems like every time you take them in they say it's just a virus treat with tylenol and ibprophen! Last year Kendrick had a really bad cough but nothing else and so I kept treatint the cough and it just wasn't getting better then one morning her woke up with a super high fever the cough was alot worse and his eyes were super blood shot...and I could not get the fever down all day so I took him in and the poor guy had bronchitis, asthma cough, sinus infection and pink eye it was horible and I felt bad!!!

Bella said...

Oh man! That's awful! I hope it didn't last too long!

It's nice hearing from you! How are you doing? We should get together with Jenn and have a girls night soon!

Jessica said...

yes that would be lots of fun!!

Donna said...

That was silly of me to automatically think it was Katie. It's even worse when it's our babies. Poor CiCi girl!!

I hope she is continuing to get better now.

GG said...

Not silly...I didn't even realize I didn't say CiCi until you said Katie. They are both my baby girls!

And yes..she is doing much better. Yesterday I could see her little personality again! It's nice having her back!