I don't get to go to the movies very often, or at least not nearly as often as I'd like, but I have been able to go two weeks in a row! Woohoo!
Last week Shawn and I took the kids to see The Princess and The Frog. This took a little bit of talking into for Justin. "But it's a GIRL movie!" He complained. But after we pointed out a few of the non-girl movies Katie has gone through for him, he finally agreed. Or maybe it was the ice cream bribe. The world may never know. LOL
I was so excited for it to be back to original 2-D animation. There is just something magical about that! And to top it off it had music! The makings of another Disney classic!
But sadly, I was disappointed in the movie. The animation was great! The music...I just didn't really get into it. It was all old time New Orleans jazz and every song felt the same to me. Only one song stuck out and did I really enjoy (Dig a Little Deeper). The rest were okay...just not very memorable.
I loved the premise of the story. You have to do more than make wishes and hope your dreams will come true. You have to work hard and make a lot of sacrifices to make things happen. And there is a big difference between what you want and what you need.
I found the bad guy, witch doctor kinda creepy but the kids never made any notice that he bothered them..which is kinda surprising in some parts.
I also really enjoyed the prince! His little remarks and attitude made me laugh. But the story seemed to drag. I don't know if boring is the right word..maybe dull would better suit it. I don't know.
The best way to describe it was it felt more like a Don Bluth film than a Disney film. Now don't get me wrong...I love a lot of Don Bluth films...they just don't usually compare to Disney..with very few exceptions like Thumbellina.
The Princess and The Frog was okay...just not great.
This weekend I had the opportunity to have a date with the hubby! We decided to go and see Sherlock Holmes. I was a bit nervous about this one...not because I didn't want to see it...I did, very much. But because Shawn had made it clear that he didn't. He is a Sherlock fan and has read the books. And according to the previews he saw he said it didn't look like "his" Sherlock.
When we decided to go to the movies there were really only 2 movies that even stood out. Sherlock Holmes and Avitar. Neither one of us wanted to see Avitar (which I hear is a good comparision to Pocahontas) so we apted for Sherlock.
When we sat down I leaned over to him and asked him if he can just try and enjoy it for what it is. He said he'd try.
The movie was great! It was funny, it had action, and the story was really good! I loved the chemistry between all of the characters! I knew he was enjoying it too because outside of laughter he didn't say anything.
About half way through the movie he leaned over and said, "I really like this movie". I was so happy.
The movie was definately left open for a sequel and I can't wait to see it! I definately recommend it! I don't think there is any language and no sex, but there is one scene (from the previews) where he is handcuffed naked to a bed with a pillow covering up his goods. The scene is brief and is actually quite funny.
So there you go...My movie reviews for the new year!
Enjoy!


3 comments:
The kids and Nana saw Sherlock this weekend, too! Most of them loved it, Mel didn't.
I'm glad you had fun!!
The story about Justin made me laugh!
I thought it was great! And Justin is a dork boy! He always makes me laugh.
I liked your review on the Frog Prince-- at least you still found a way to enjoy a "semi-decent" movie.. I think I'll just wait to see it at the $1 theater.. :) I can't wait to see Sherlock Holmes though, I've heard only good things about that one.
Post a Comment