I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Boy Friends

There are many advantages to Katelynn's dual immersion class, but one of the downfalls is that Katelynn has the same students in her class every year. This year they added to the class because of several drop outs last year but the root class remained the same. And there are very few girls in the class - even with the new editions there are 6 girls to 21 boys.

Early last year Katelynn became friends with 2 other girls, Gianna and Alisha. They became a little click. Well as the saying goes, two's company - three's a crowd. Gianna and Alisha had decided one day that Katelynn was no longer going to be their friend and starting running away from her, teasing her, and just completely ignoring her. Katie struggled with this most of last year. She just couldn't understand it and it really bothered her. But of course, whenever one of the girls, Gianna or Alisha, were sick the other would quickly run to Katelynn to play with. And Katelynn got so excited and thought they were all going to be friends again. But it only lasted until the other girl returned to school.
I encouraged her to play with the other girls but they had already started to form their friendships and although they allowed her to play with them, it just wasn't the same. She still felt left out. She started playing by herself a lot. Until the boys started playing with her.

Suddenly, Katelynn found herself in a huge group of boys and she fit right in. They accepted her full heartedly and she enjoyed playing with them.

This year we really hoped she'd be able to make some strong connections with some of the new girls.

And from day one, Gianna and Alisha were back up to their usual games and started "picking" on Katelynn. Luckily, it doesn't seem to bother her as much this year.

She has become pretty good friends with one of the girls from her class from last year, Alondra. But Katie still prefers the boys!

Shawn used to walk Katelynn to her class every morning. Now that Justin is in school, he has to leave her on her own and walk Justin to class. Shawn is definately struggling with this. He wants to split himself in two and be with both of them.

But yesterday, she quickly found one of her boy friends and walked away from her Daddy. Imagine the conflict that caused Shawn!

2 comments:

Donna said...

It's so hard when our kids have these struggles. I am so glad she figured it out. (I also am glad she can show the two girls she doesn't need them, after all!)

Poor Shawn. It's also hard to see they don't need us, as much as we need them, to need us!! LOL

I miss you, too!
Love ya!!

GG said...

I just don't know what to think about her becoming such good friends with these boys! Doesn't she know that they have cooties!

Love you and miss you too!!