I have written and rewritten this post numerous times. I don't know why I am having such a hard time. Maybe I am just afraid of jinxing something.
Shawn and I decided that it is time for us to be a family again. Together.
There is a new building being created for the Post Office and with it will be new positions and the possibility of Shawn going back to a day shift. The building doesn't open until May/June but they opened the shift bid.
It was perfect timing because there was another opening in the bank that opened that I really wanted and I was "strongly encouraged" to apply. Always a good sign. So I did.
In the meantime, we had a meeting at the kids' school about Dual Immersion for jr high for Katie.
Unknown to the parents, the school had decided that the program would continue at Eisenhower. And no transportation would be provided.
My heart fell. If Shawn gets his day shift bid and I get this new position, we wouldn't be able to get Katie to and from school if she continued in the program.
When the program first started, it was presented that if the children continued through jr high and high school, that they could graduate with an Associates Degree in Language Arts.
However, the program has changed. If continued through high school, it is possible for the kids to earn 3 college credits in language they can use towards their degree.
Although it wasn't what we were thought it was going to be, it was still something that could potentially benefit Katie.
So now the dilemma. Do we go forward with Dual Immersion and stay in the shifts/jobs that we currently have or do we change the shifts/jobs and pull Katie out of the program?
We weighed several different options and with prayer and input from Katie, we decided as a family that it is best to go forward with the shift change and to pull Katie out of the program next year.
We talked to her counselor at the jr high down the street (easy walking distance) and we arranged for Katie to take Spanish 3 (still a bit lower level than what she is currently at, but it is something) and then 9th grade will be at the high school so she can continue there. Its 8th grade that'll be tricky but we are going to take it as it comes.
So Shawn continued with his bid and I didn't withdraw my application for the new position. In fact, I was "strongly encouraged" to apply for another position as well with virtually the same hours so I applied for that one too, knowing that there is a strong likelihood that I will get at least one of them. The second job is a little more risky as it is back in New Accounts, a slowly dying department, but it is a job that is better suited to my strengths. I know I could be successful and happy there.
In order for this to work though, we will have to have the younger two go to a different elementary school next year. Sadly, it's only because of early out days. Currently, they go to a school outside of our boundaries because of the Dual Immersion for Katie but she won't be in that program next year so it will no longer be necessary.
I would keep them in the school because I know it sucks to change schools, but they would have no way home on Fridays. Because its not their boundary school, they are too far to walk and they can't ride the bus.
So we have 2 options.
Option 1) Enroll them back into their boundary school and they can take the bus.
Option 2) Request a special permit for the school right in our neighborhood (Don't ask me why that isn't our boundary school, I don't understand it.) and they can walk home.
We are REALLY hoping for option 2. We submitted the requests for special permits but we won't know for a few weeks. So we are still praying for that to go through, but if it doesn't, wet'll still be ok with option 1. I just hate having to bus them when it isn't necessary.
Tuesday, I had an interview for the first position. The interview went great and although I was extremely nervous, I walked out feeling really good about it and was told I would hear back next week for next steps.
When I got home, Shawn told me he got a text from his mom. One of his day shift bids were approved! Woohoo! It was disappointing that it wasn't one of his first choices with weekends or even Sunday/Mondays off (he'll have Monday/Tuesday off) but it is still a GREAT start in the right direction!
Although, I have to admit that I am very sad that once it goes into effect, he wont be able to go to church with us on Sundays any more. I'm having a hard time with it. BUT I know it'll all work out and it isn't forever. We will now have him home with us every single night! And right now, that is priceless to our family.
And then today, I got a call with the job offer! Not a second interview, not a follow up, an actual offer!! And for the more reliable, prestigious job! Yahoo!!!! Boy, that was fast!
I am so overwhelmed with praise and thankfulness that I almost feel guilty for continuing to ask for those special permits to go through.
No comments:
Post a Comment