I realize blog viewing is much simpler without having to sign in each time to view or comment. So I am temporarily removing the private setting for this blog. I am still not sure how comfortable I am with it so I am going on a trial run.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Flag Football


We are so excited for Justin!

We have been struggling, trying to find Justin's niche in the world!  His talent that he could enjoy and nurture.  Something to occupy his time and build character. 

I will be the first to admit that video gaming does take talent!  (I can't do it.  I have tried and I have failed.  There is a special gene or something that makes you a gamer and I don't have it.)  However, it is a "talent" that encourages laziness and unhealthy behaviors.

We tried putting him in language and music, but Justin just wasn't feeling it.  It was starting to cause discontentment for everyone.  He hated it so we had to force him to do it, so even though he was practicing, he wasn't retaining anything.  It was a frustrating circle for all of us.  But every time we asked him if he didn't want to do something any more, he would be upset.  I know he wanted to make us proud.  He wanted to succeed, but that success just wasn't coming.

Last year, we started taking it out of his hands.  We pulled him from the Spanish program and put him back in a traditional English speaking classroom.  He was pretty emotional about it.  He didn't want to "fail" and he was going to miss his friends.  He was with the same kids since 1st grade.  But amazingly, once we pulled him out he was succeeding again!  It was a tough choice, but I wish we would have done it sooner.  It made for a happier Justin and a happier mama.

He still didn't have anything special for him though.  He was doing guitar, but he just wasn't feeling it.  He would practice, but nothing was coming from it.  I could tell, again, that he was miserable.  Like before, he WANTED to be good at it, he WANTED to impress us but it just wasn't his thing.

So again, we took it out of his hands.  He pulled him from guitar and asked him what he wanted to do.  Imagine that!?  What a concept!

I knew what he would say.  Sports.  He loves it.  But Shawn and I had discussed it before and we wanted to see improvements in these other efforts before putting him in sports.  He doesn't need more things to distract him from his studies. 

And that is exactly what he said.  Football.  He wanted to play football.  We decided that what we were trying to do to improve his "talents" weren't helping him at all.  Let's let him have a go at it.

Immediately, we tried to sign him up for little league.  Unfortunately, we missed sign ups.  He won't be able to sign up until next summer.  Darn. 

But after a little bit of researching we found flag football sign ups at the rec center.  It is only 8 games so not a big commitment and was pretty inexpensive.  This would be perfect!  It gives him a taste of the "sports" life without the HUGE commitment little league football is!  I am not sure if any of you have actually looked into little league sports but it is a pretty hefty time commitment (practice 5 days a week and weekly games) plus it is expensive.  You have your dues, but you also have the price of REAL full on football gear and equipment.  It can get pretty pricey.  So for me, flag football would be a great way to get our feet wet.

And it's been amazing for him!  He loves it!  And it is helping him be more active in his schooling.  He is doing his reading without me asking a zillion times and he is doing his homework on his own.  I don't have to baby sit him! 

He has 2 games a week and a practice once a week.  It is a small little team, there are only 8 boys total, so each of them play the entire time.  It is great on his little body!  I love watching out there running and sweating!  And he's good at it!  He is a great little catcher and is one of the fastest on his team!  He is loving every second of it! 

I am so thankful that I gave up trying to do it MY way and let him be him!  My heart is so light and filled with joy when I see him smiling! 

I love you, Buddy!  I can't wait to see the amazing things you are going to teach me!









3 comments:

Donna said...

Again, amazing parents! So exciting to see such success!!
I feel so out of the loop, so happy to have spent tonight with you!!
I love and miss you!

Donna said...

Wow, these prove your not a robot verifications are getting hard that last one took me 4 times to get it right! lol

GG said...

More proof when he brought home is report card. All A's except 1 B. Woohoo!!!!

I dont have to type any verifications. Maybe cuz I'm on my phone?? I'll look into it. See if I can make it easier.