One of Katie's friends, Malachi, has been inviting her to go skating with him almost every week since they met in 1st grade. I am still a very protective parent and I don't want to just allow her to go without me knowing the parents. So I've become friends with his mom, Natalie. She's really nice and we have a lot in common. She started inviting all of us to go skating with them for about a year now. Not only is her son in Katie's class but her daughter is in Justin's class. So the kids are all friends.
So what's the problem? They go on Tuesdays. As most of you know, I don't like to do anything during the week. AND Tuesday is GLEE NIGHT! Hello!!
So when I finally admitted this to her, she laughed and offered to take the kids so I could have a kid-free Glee night. Although I know her better now, I'm still just not comfortable with them going without me. But this week Glee was not on and the kids have been BEGGING to go. So I agreed...under one condition. They had to let me put their hair in pony tails. I didn't want the girl's hair in their face the whole night.
Justin immediately said, "But my hair's not long enough."
I just couldn't help myself. I started to play with him. "Of course it is. EVERYONE has to wear pony tails in order to get into the skate rink. Even the boys."
His little sweet eyes pondered that statement for a few seconds. "So if I don't wear a pony tail, I can't go?"
"That's right." I know...I'm so mean.
"And ALL the boys wear them?"
"Yes - or they aren't allowed in. Do you want to go or not?"
So he agreed! I was shocked. I didn't expect him to fall for this joke. So I HAD to keep playing. He stood there like a good little boy and let me put the tiniest little pony tail on the top of his hair. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen! I just busted out laughing! That's when the tears started to roll, but he still was willing to wear it in order to go skating.
I didn't let him cry for very long. Just long enough for me to get a pic and then I told him the truth. That Mommy was just teasing and I'm sorry I made him sad. I removed the pony tail and kissed his sweet little face. I still feel bad, but I also still think it's funny that he LET me put that pony tail in his hair.
We grabbed the kids scooters and joined our friends. I hadn't been skating since I was a teenager. And I've never been rollerblading. I tried it once, but I just couldn't get it. So I was glad to see that most adults were actually on good ol fashioned roller skates! Woohoo! AND I'm happy to report that I did not fall! That doesn't mean I didn't do the balance wave with my arms flinging in the air, but I was always able to catch my balance.
The kids had a GREAT time! And surprisingly, so did I. We stayed til close, which is only 9:00 but that's pretty late for us to be out on a school night. The kids are already begging to go again.

4 comments:
That is the funniest thing I have heard in a LONG time! I love it! Poor Jusin Wusin!! Kiss his sweet face fo me!
XOXO
LOL You are mean! :) But it is hilarious!
I'm glad you enjoyed skating! I haven't gone in a long time, then when I did, I didn't put skates on!
I know! I'm horrible! I'm even more horrible because it still makes me laugh.
LOL
That doesn't make you more horrible! The passage of time makes the most embarrassing moments even more hilarious!! LOL
It's still cracking me up!!
Post a Comment